By Lydia London
Enjoy the sunshine and use your green thumb this spring with these handy gardening tips.
- It’s better to work in your garden earlier in the morning (or in the early evening) to avoid exposure to too much sun and heat.
- Try to change your tasks in the garden every 30 minutes or so, to make sure larger muscles are being utilized and to ensure smaller muscles are not over-stretched.
- If possible: wear sunscreen, gloves, a hat and sturdy shoes to protect yourself from harmful UV rays and any scratches or bumps from prickly plants.
- Plant raised beds to allow you to tend to your plants and flowers without prolonged bending.
- Coffee grounds can be used to make the soil more acidic for plants that thrive in acid-rich soil. These include the plant types Azaleas and Rhododendrons.
- Use the leftover water from boiled vegetables (after it has cooled down) to water potted plants.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated while working outside.
- A handy tip to get rid of aphids is to wrap a sticky piece of tape around your hand, then dab the leaves to remove the pesky insects.
Sources: disabled-world.com and hgtv.com