Most of us have a check-up with an optician every two years, which can leave you with an old pair of glasses on your hands. How can you avoid sending them to the landfill?
- Choose quality glasses: Although they might cost a little extra in the short term, they will probably last much longer.
- Select second-hand frames from a thrift shop or vintage store: Instead of buying into the production of new frames, why not choose some that already exist?
- Avoid fads: Choose glasses that suit your personal style, rather than buying into the latest trends.
- Protect: Use a protective case to avoid scratches, dents and cracks.
- Recycle: Make recycling an option by choosing frames made from an eco-friendly material such as steel or aluminium.
- Re-lens: Change lenses but keep your current frame.
- Donate: The Lions Club runs a reuse initiative in countries including Canada.