These bars are the perfect make ahead dessert. They need a long chill time, so pop ’em in the fridge and leave them overnight. The next day, you’ll be rewarded with perfectly set squares. (Plus, if you’re like me, you prefer lemon bars cold.)
Prep Time: 0 hours 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. powdered sugar, plus more for garnish
FOR THE FILLING
2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
3/4 c. lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
1 lemon, cut into small wedges, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9″-x-13″ baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Make the crust: In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour and powdered sugar and beat until combined.
3. Spread dough into prepared baking pan and press to flatten. Bake until lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
4. Make the filling: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix until fully combined. Pour filling over crust, return to oven, and bake until firm, about 25 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and refrigerate, 3 to 4 hours. Slice and garnish with powdered sugar and lemon wedges.
Photo: Parker Feierbach