Why should gluten eaters have all the fun? This gluten-free pistachio apricot tart is just as sweet, tangy and satisfying as the real deal. (It’s really damn photogenic too.)
Prep: 25 min
Cook: 30 min
Total: 55 min
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1¾ cups gluten-free 1 to 1 flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
8 medium apricots, halved and pitted
⅓ cup heavy cream
⅓ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup whole milk
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Chopped pistachios, for garnishing
Confectioners’ sugar, for garnishing
1. Make the Crust: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place a 9-inch tart pan on a baking sheet.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the egg yolk and mix to combine.
3. Add the flour and salt; mix just until combined. Mix in 1 tablespoon cool water. (The mixture should have the texture of cookie dough.) Press it into the base and up the side of the prepared tart pan.
4. Bake until the edge begins to lightly brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely.
5. Make the Filling: Arrange the apricot halves in concentric circles inside the cooled crust. They should overlap slightly as you build the circles inward.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream, sugar, milk, eggs, egg yolk and vanilla extract. Gently pour the mixture into the tart pan.
7. Bake until the custard is set and the apricots are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before serving. Garnish with chopped pistachios and confectioners’ sugar.
Photo: Liz Andrew/Styling