There’s nothing more satisfying than baking a beautiful pie, and this one is possibly the queen of beautiful pies. Made with a double batch of our favorite pie dough recipe, this pie showcases the pretty pink hues of rhubarb and strawberry as they peek out from under the golden lattice. If you’re intimidated by lattice crusts, don’t be! Keep your strips of pie dough well chilled until you’re ready to assemble to give yourself more time to work with.
Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 0 hours 15 mins
Total Time: 2 hours 0 mins
2 pie crusts
4 c. chopped rhubarb
2 c. chopped strawberries
3/4 c. granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 c. cornstarch
1 tbsp. lemon juice plus 1 tsp. zest
Pinch kosher salt
2 tbsp. cold butter, chopped
1 large egg, beaten
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Using a rolling pin, roll out both pie crusts to about 16″ across.
2. In a large bowl, mix together rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, zest, and salt until mixture begins to look juicy. Place one crust into a pie dish and pour in fruit mixture. Dot with pieces of butter.
3. With the other sheet of pie dough, make a lattice top. First, cut the dough into ¾” strips. Then, weave strips over and under each other in a criss-cross formation. Using kitchen shears, trim the top and bottom crust so there’s a 1” overhang, then fold under and crimp edges together. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
4. Bake until pie is golden and filling is bubbling, about 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. If crust is browning too fast, cover with aluminum foil.
5. Let pie cool slightly, then serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
Photo: Parker Feierbach