It gives classic cauliflower cheese a tasty twist by turning it into a delightfully comforting autumnal soup.
Makes: 4 servings
Time: 40 Minutes
2 desiree or Sebago potatoes, peeled and cut into four
1 small brown onion, diced
100 ml cream
2 cups of chicken stock
3 cups boiling water
1 baguette, 4 thin slices
100g finely grated cheese parmesan cheese
4 slices pancetta
Pinch of salt
Pinch of grated nutmeg
½ bunch of chives
1. Chop cauliflower into florets and wash. In a medium saucepan, on medium heat sweat the onion for two minutes, ensuring it does not colour. Add the potatoes and cauliflower and mix well. Cover the vegetables with the stock and water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 25 minutes.
2. Blend the soup in a food processor or with a stick blender
3. Add cream, nutmeg and salt to taste.
4. For the croutons: Grill the slices of bread until lightly toasted, place a slice of pancetta on each crouton sprinkle with cheese. Place under the grill again until the cheese has melted.
5. Divide the soup into four bowls place a crouton in each bowl and garnish with freshly chopped chives.
Tip: Pancetta can be substituted with good quality ham or prosciutto
Source: Everyday Gourmet