STAY CLEAR OF FACEBOOK GAMES
How many times have you responded to a social media game or quiz that asks questions like…
• How old were you when…?
• What was your first car?
• What’s your mother’s maiden name?
Sounds like fun but you may be giving social hackers info that leads to identity theft or hacking.
8 REASONS TO JOIN A SUPPORT GROUP
Decades of research demonstrate the value of sharing information
with other caregivers. Doing so offers ways for you to:
1) Share advice and information.
2) Improve your coping skills.
3) Reduce loneliness and isolation.
4) Limit possibility of depression.
5) Meet new friends.
6) Express feelings more openly.
7) Help you plan for the future.
8) Learn about ways to keep your loved one comfortable and safe.
DOCUMENTING YOUR WISHES
Advance Care Planning—the process of making sure people know what you want when you are unable to make your own decisions by appointing someone you trust to communicate those wishes on your behalf. In case you need help, Dying With Dignity Canada has put together a free Advance Care Planning Kit that has everything you need to get started. Visit: dyingwithdignity.ca/download_acp_kit.
There are many reasons why some older adults lose their appetite or refuse to eat. Sometimes simple changes can make a big difference to their health:
• Try easy-to-eat finger foods and easy-to-eat fresh fruits.
• Create a meal and snack schedule.
• Try enriched milkshakes or smoothies.
• Serve smaller portions of high nutrient foods.
• Consider a meal supplement like Boost or Ensure.
• Keep track of what’s working.
THANKS FOR YOUR BLOOD
Blood donors in Sweden receive a thank-you text when their donations are used to save a life. Apparently, the program has not only increased blood donations but it’s an awesome way to make donors feel good about themselves.
DON’T BE A “MIRACLE FLYER”
Some people abuse the wheelchair support system at the airport to get on the flights early and avoid walking. Now airline staffers have given these folks a name: Miracle Flyers—passengers who need wheelchairs to board the flight but “miraculously” don’t require them to deplane.
6 HABITS FOR HEALTHY AGING
1. Going to the doctor when you’re not sick.
2. Seeing a doctor regularly can help the doctor find problems early or even before they start.
3. Rethinking your daily diet.
4. Exercising consistently (instead of intermittently).
5. Taking stress reduction seriously.
6. Investing in your relationships.
READING OUT LOUD
Audio books make reading accessible to everyone. Here are three ways to get books on tape:
1) Borrow from the public library.
2) Online. Run by volunteers, LibriVox is a free service that makes public domain books (books with expired copyright) available in an audio format.
3) Buy audio books through Audible, GooglePlay, iBooks or Audiobooks.
SWOLLEN FEET OR ANKLES?
These are the reasons why it might be time to talk to your doctor for professional advice about what’s going on:
a) You could be eating too much salt.
b) Hormone fluctuations are common.
c) Some medications can be the cause.
d) There’s a possibility of an infection.
e) You might have lymphedema.
f) Sometimes, it’s a sign your heart isn’t pumping enough blood.
THINK BEFORE YOU FLUSH
Did you know that baby wipes, feminine hygiene products, diaper liners, body wipes and cleaning wipes are labelled as flushable? The real truth is that these manufacturing instructions are misleading as these products do not actually break down or disintegrate within our WPCP collection systems. This results in clogged and damaged pumps, blocked screens and sewer backups, to highlight a few of the obstacles encountered by plumbers on a regular basis.