Some habits that we develop as caregivers are useful and have a positive impact on our lives. However, others are unwanted and may be difficult to break. Looking at how the habit started in the first place is a good first step, then:
1) Focus on the change you’d like to see and why? Write down all of the reasons.
2) Slow down and be mindful of your responsibilities and the impact of your actions.
3) Think about specific reminders or triggers that cause the behaviour you’d like to change.
4) Ask for help from a friend or trusted professional.
5) Start small. Be mindful and take it step by step.
6) Say,“What could I do differently?”
7) Be patient with yourself and others.
8) Celebrate your successes, not your failures.